General

Dear Interwebs: Would you hate me?

Dear all and sundry:

I am poor. This is my own fault and my own lifestyle choice, but I am railing against it extra hard right now because I have the time and energy and the timing is right to go grab a dog or two from Hartford, but we just don't have the money. I need to have five hundred bucks in the bank before I do a rescue, because I can count on illness, spay/neuter, training, etc.

This is significantly chafing to my not-so-wee sit-upon.

Would you all hate me if I did a little Amazon affiliate dealio where you could buy your normal Amazonian stuff from a link through this blog? I would get some pennies and be able to do rescue (priority one) and more give-aways and fun stuff on the blog. If for some crazy reason it goes absolutely bananas and I make enough to help with the mortgage I will be astounded, but honestly my goal is to go pull at least one dog every couple of months, and maybe after that buy somebody a Kong once in a while.

What think you? Would you still love me in the morning?

• Reply Leanne July 30, 2010 at 6:26 am

No problem!

Have you thought about charging for your ebook downloads? I can’t say I’ve really looked into this, but I know someone else who has self-published via Lulu.com, just so he can offer his readers the option of paying for his books, even though he offers them for free PDF download.

• Reply K.B. July 30, 2010 at 6:38 am

No issues here. Then again, with Google Reader, Firefox, and being Canadian (and thus buying from Amazon.ca), it doesn’t affect me one way or the other. 🙂

• Reply Amy July 30, 2010 at 6:43 am

Wonderful idea, Joanna!

• Reply Andrea July 30, 2010 at 6:51 am

Go for it! I wouldn’t even hate you if you went the advertising route. I’d click so you could earn a bit!

• Reply Dawn Small July 30, 2010 at 6:59 am

Go for it!

• Reply Mary July 30, 2010 at 7:35 am

OK with me. Anything for the dogs.

• Reply Mike July 30, 2010 at 7:43 am

I’m pretty much used to ignoring advertising on the interwebs. As long as it isn’t intrusive and flash-heavy, I don’t care.

• Reply Leila July 30, 2010 at 8:00 am

I dont have any problem with it.

• Reply Leanna July 30, 2010 at 8:09 am

You could even put up a “help Joanna buy a dog” paypal button. Damomma did it to fund her kids birthday party and fly her to see the space shuttle. Surely it could get you a dog.

• Reply kathi July 30, 2010 at 8:50 am

I don’t mind unobtrusive advertising and affiliate links on your blog (or anyone else’s)… don’t apologize for wanting to monetize, especially when you are providing good content!

Although I am quietly horrified at the number of donation buttons I see for… well, stuff I think people should not be begging for… I don’t ever mind seeing donation buttons to help rescues, fosters and emergency situations and I try to always throw in at least a small amount for the legit requests.

• Reply Kim (LittleRockstar) July 30, 2010 at 9:45 am

Hurry up. I think we’re getting ready to make some purchases.

No hatin’ from us.

We’re poor too, but that’s a cause we’d likely donate a bit to if there were a donate button.

• Reply Maggie July 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

I would love to help out. I use Amazon a lot but I can only buy stuff from Amazon.de.

• Reply Lily July 30, 2010 at 11:13 am

Go for it. You are doing it for a good cause and your blog have valuable content and helpful advise. If readers want to be a little part of what you are trying to do, the button will allow us to do just that.

• Reply Micaela Torregrosa-Mahoney July 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

do it! Wish you’d done it a couple of months ago, I could’ve bought the Dremmel through your link and you could’ve gotten something for it, which is as it should be since I’d never heard of using them for dogs before you… Amazon also has Lupine collars, etc. so there are definitely lots of dog products there that you use and recommend that noobs could pick up.

• Reply Ron July 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Do it. I like these things, since I am going to use Amazon anyway. It makes me feel good knowing some of
    Amazon’s profit is diverted for something/someone I want to support.

• Reply Julie Ellingson July 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Doesn’t bother me a bit. I enjoy your posts very much and I like to think of you getting a small pittance for keeping me entertained and educated.

• Reply Kamie July 30, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I would be fine with it, and happy to buy through your blog!

• Reply Elise July 30, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Do what you have to do! 🙂