clue, puppies

With a smile

There are very few pictures of Clue not smiling. Even this one has the corner of her mouth turned up, as she looked out over the river on her fourth birthday.

I’m going to follow her lead and not be sad that she has decided that no more puppies are in the offing. After talking with Betty Ann today we agree that failing to ovulate is her way of saying “No thanks, not again,” which is her right after seven pelvic fractures and a c-section! She may be splitting this heat, meaning she’ll be back in season in six or eight weeks, but I won’t breed her if she is. A January litter is so work-intensive and the effort of keeping puppies warm is enormous. So she gets a free pass, is put on a slimming regimen, and gets to laugh at me from the end of my bed for all her days.

I am disappointed but, honestly, not sad. And more than a little relieved. When it comes to Clue everything is so high-stakes; I drove myself into a complete tizzy when she was pregnant last time and my disappointment at not having something with spots to keep going from her is made up for by the fact that I get to relax. Conformationally she’s never been better, and there’s no question that I thought she had something more to give to the breed, but she calls the shots on this one.

However, fear not that the blog will not be interesting. There are a couple of Big Things in the works, now that I will not be raising a litter this fall. Stay tuned…

• Reply Kaye Graham September 2, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I have mixed feelings! When I got my Pem Madoc about a year and 3 months ago, I joined Mycorgi and started reading posts– yours particularly– and then followed the concern of Clue’s last week or so of pregnancy before the C-section and then checked the Mystery Litter obsessively! I was looking forward to more Clue puppy stories, but life is never dull around your household. Your posts give me a lot to think about as I try to be a responsible owner while loving my dog.

• Reply Lance Corgi September 2, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Happy 4th Birthday Clue!!

• Reply Patience September 2, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Happy 4th birthday Clue. I’m glad you are in a good place with this. I’ve been following you and Clue since before she got off the airplane. I have to admit I’m a bit sad that there are no more Clue puppies, I guess I’ll just have to wait for grandbabies :).

• Reply Mary September 2, 2010 at 9:04 pm

Happy Birthday, Clue!

And good for you, Joanna, for making the responsible & ethical decision. I will also miss reading Cloodle pupper tales. But I’d rather be able to keep reading about Clue for many more years.

Keep smiling, you beautiful blue girl!

• Reply Missy September 3, 2010 at 2:18 am

Emma wishes her mom a Happy Birthday and is hopeful she’ll help carry on the lineage with style. Don’t worry – if and when it’s time she’ll be looking to you for guidance on who a good daddy would be. Her lineage will be carried on appropriately. She hopes you wish her and her new mommy well as we begin our showing career. This weekend is a gentle introduction, and next weekend we start for real!

• Reply Sarah Davis September 3, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Happy Birthday Clue! Maybe Mom can get a Magnum/Eva puppy in blue. I am leaning toward that breeding for a couple years from now.

• Reply rufflyspeaking September 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

That would make me very happy :). It would be an interesting pedigree – a whole lot of nice dogs and line on Inky.

• Reply Krystal Goff September 5, 2010 at 3:42 pm

happy Birthday Clue!

• Reply Liz Nicole Hart November 26, 2010 at 3:39 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLUE!

• Reply Tiffany Yancey November 26, 2010 at 4:40 am

Happy Birthday Clue!!

• Reply Angela January 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I am real late posting to this one, but I have to say thank you to Clue – you gave us Daphne and our friends the Kimball family. Thank you girl – we love you. Many more happy birthdays to you.