Family, General

I tried to get some pictures of Agatha in the colorful fall…

I tried to get some pictures of Agatha in the colorful fall leaves (as pitiful as they are in Texas) for her 10 month birthday, but this was the only shot where she was distracted enough to look up from her acorn hunting.Shes still very small and seems to have stalled out at around 15 or 16 pounds.  Do they tend to grow in spurts?  I keep watching for a growth spurt but havent seen one in a while.Shes still as goofy and fun as ever.

She’s still very small and seems to have stalled out at around 15 or 16 pounds.  Do they tend to grow in spurts?  I keep watching for a growth spurt but haven’t seen one in a while.

She’s still as goofy and fun as ever.

View comments Tags: Agatha submission

• Reply rufflyspeaking November 27, 2010 at 1:37 am

I posted this to the main blog because I know people are interested in Clue’s babies and may have some stories to tell about their own little corgis.

Here’s what I wrote to Kelly on the mystery litter mini-blog:

The answer is that the three girls – Agatha, Harper, and Juno – are very, very small. Juno and Harper are hanging out at around 22-23 lb right now, which is between five and ten pounds less than their agemates. I’ve asked Clue’s breeder and she says “Oh, don’t worry – I’ve had 15-pounders turn out to be thirty-pounders.” This line just grows reaaaaaaallly slowly. I would not expect Agatha to be a big girl, but I would guess Agatha at three years old won’t be 15 lb, and Juno and Harper will get at least into the minimum standard weight of 25 lb. The great thing about these pocket Cardis is that they tend to be able to do more stuff, and do it longer, and they’re super athletic. They just look a little… unique, let’s say! As an owner, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. As a breeder, it means I will need to be wise about who I breed mine to, if we decide to breed them. I like a smaller dog but I have to make sure I’m breeding for the standard. So they should go to a bigger boy, when and if that happens. Right now I’m just enjoying the fact that they fit on my lap so well.

• Reply Krystal November 27, 2010 at 1:52 am

She’s not eating the acorns is she? Toxic to dogs, which I didn’t know until mine had been merrily chomping away (and barfing every night) for several days. Even the oak leaves in their water buckets is bad.

Love your blog!

Krystal

• Reply rufflyspeaking November 27, 2010 at 2:04 am

Don’t worry – she’d have to eat about a pound of acorns at once to be hurt by them. Most dogs eat a couple and decide they don’t taste so good after all. Your dog just decided to be an impolite exception :). We have six or seven oak trees in our dog area and there are thousands of the little rounds out there and the dogs leave them totally alone.

• Reply Krystal November 27, 2010 at 3:40 am

Ok cool! We have great big huge ones here and there were hundreds on the deck. They were really munching away every evening. Once I read they might be toxic I swept them away every day. Thanks,

K
        Krystal recently posted…CrispMy Profile

• Reply Patience November 27, 2010 at 3:25 am

I can’t find the mystery litter blog anymore?

• Reply Kelly November 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Thanks, Joanna. It’s hard to imagine her gaining 10 more pounds, but I’ll watch and wait. Do you have any idea when she might be full-grown? We quite enjoy her fitting in our laps or wrapping around us in a chair too.

I was worried about the acorns at first then discovered that they are only a problem in quantity. She’s never eaten enough to get sick. She doesn’t have free access to them but does scavenge a few at a time on walks. She can reach down and grab them without breaking stride.

(I can’t get to the mystery litter blog either. The link from this site seems to be broken and I lost my bookmark of it.)

• Reply Lori @ According to Gus November 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

We moved to Texas from Iowa 6 years ago. We miss the pretty fall leaves. Great photo of Agatha!
    Lori @ According to Gus recently posted…25 Shutterfly Credit!My Profile