Family, General

Monday Monday

We just fogged the entire house for mold, because this is getting ridiculous. I am really sorry I haven’t been posting – I’m just wiped out. I write them in my head and then fall over.

However, all is not bad.

He’s not mine – stop that! – but I did get to play with him all day Saturday. More pics of him and his brother and sisters when I come out of my allergic coma.

• Reply Krystal December 6, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Bummer! Could it be Lyme’s? I had it two summers ago and would find myself just needing to sleep at that minute, two hours later I’d still be groggy.

Take care.
    Krystal recently posted…Lights and bells ringingMy Profile

• Reply Leila December 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Oh my god. Waaaaaant!

• Reply Patience December 6, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Oh the cuteness I NEEEED him.

Sorry about the mold. I had a reaction last year to it and it was awful.

• Reply Mary December 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Hi Joanna,

Sorry you’re still having problems – have you spoken to the contractor that did all the work after the fire? I’m absolutely not blaming him, but he knows how everything went together. He might have some ideas or prior experience with fixing this kind of thing. You know the drill – ” I remember that I had a customer that had the same problem about 7 years ago & we fixed it by doing x, y & z…”

• Reply rufflyspeaking December 6, 2010 at 11:17 pm

Mary, yes, he’s been helping. He originally bid, and fought for, the ability to tear out all the subfloor and joists on the first floor. They were soaked with water from the fire and he anticipated mold. Unfortunately, insurance wouldn’t pay for it. They insisted that drying things out with dehumidifiers would be OK.

We have hopes for the fogging process; we’ve also increased the heat going in to the basement (got our furnace going instead of just using the pellet stove) and installed a dehumidifier. We’re down to 60% relative humidity from our starting high of 90%, but we really need to get it below 60 to make sure we’re stopping the growth. Meanwhile I am taking a dizzying array of supplements and herbs and trying to get off the prednisone.

• Reply Mary December 7, 2010 at 4:35 am

Prednisone is a wonderful & powerful drug that can seem to almost do miracles, but it does have lots of side effects (yes, you could probably paint your entire house in one weekend on a prednisone “high”) and needs to be tapered off carefully. Glad to hear that you’re able to get off it. & things are improving. Hang in there.

Oh, and I love the image of that puppy – he’s a real heart breaker!

Feel better soon.

• Reply Kim (LittleRockstar) December 7, 2010 at 1:11 am

Have you been in contact with the insurance company again? After our insurance company dropped the ball after a flood, they paid to have our house professionally cleaned and dried. They tore out all of out baseboards and spent an entire weekend heating and dehumidifying(?) my house. Then they fogged. Insurance covered everything, including the difference in my utilities that month. Now we run a small dehumidifier in the basement and we have Damp Rid down there. We also have two air purifiers that use ultraviolet light and my girls have small HEPA filters in their bedrooms. It might sounds like overkill, but my daughter hasn’t had a breathing treatment since we did this.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Reply rufflyspeaking December 7, 2010 at 1:28 am

Thanks, Kim – I’m very thankful that I’m the only one that this has hit. Honour is the one I worry about because she has asthma, but this hasn’t bothered her at all. It’s not a black mold, just a regular mildew and for some reason that’s the only thing I’m genuinely allergic to. I can have cats draped over my face with no issue, but a damp book will start me sneezing.

We are beyond the “statute of limitations” or whatever it is that insurance allows you. Our company promptly dropped us after the fire, but allowed us to keep our claim open for a certain number of months while construction was taking place. Once the claim closed, so did our ability to get any additional help. Insurance companies are the devil.

The good news is that I am now 48 hours post my last prednisone; at this stage the last time I tried to stop it I was struggling to breathe and had to go back on the pred. Right now I’m pretty stuffy but my breathing is OK. So it gives me hope that things are improving and that I can get back to something approaching normal. I know that a lot of what I’m feeling is actually the prednisone – when I’m on a high dose I feel like I could climb tall buildings but I can’t sleep or eat normally. Tapering off makes me feel like all I can DO is sleep.

• Reply Jen Renton December 7, 2010 at 6:24 am

Hang in there! I hope you feel better soon.