General

A small yay.

I am going to West Springfield in a couple of weeks to take photos of the first big dog show of the spring and to see all my Yankee Cardigan Club friends. I don’t have anybody entered; it’s just a fun trip. Sarah helped me set up an informal meeting with Tibetan Spaniel breeders, so I can talk with them about whether the breed would be a good one for Honour.

This morning Honour said to me, “I’ve been thinking, and I want to go to the dog show with you to talk with the Tibetan Spaniel people.” My jaw about hit the floor – you have to understand, this is a little like someone who gets dizzy on the second stair announcing that they’re going to go skydiving. I know that we may get there and she’ll need to stay in the car, but even being willing to go is pretty giant. We’ve been talking and talking about learning from Ginny to go a little further and push just a little harder every day, and that healing doesn’t mean <all of a sudden> but just <a tiny step at a time>. I am so proud of her for stretching this much.

Right now she is singing to her chickens in the other room. The tiny rooster is singing back. Clue is sprawled in the exact center of the warmest spot in the sunny yard. Zuzu hasn’t taken her clothes off in at least 45 minutes. Life is pretty good.

• Reply Anna Harman March 26, 2011 at 6:24 pm

As a Tibetan Spaniel owner, as well as showing and breeding cardis, have to say beware,!!!. You will be smitten, they are unlike any breed that I have ever had.

• Reply Joanna Kimball March 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Anna, please tell me more! They’ve been recommended so many times to me but they’re rare enough that there aren’t a lot that have spent real time with them. We’re especially looking for a dog that can bond very tightly with her and who can understand a “job” that involves insisting on attention and being carried around and touched constantly.

• Reply Why So Frost March 26, 2011 at 6:58 pm

If Honour doesnt want something that LOOKS like Ginny, a tibbie is not the way to go lol, a purebred pap would look a lot less like what she wants to avoid

• Reply Joanna Kimball March 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I know the pics of Ginny look more Tibbie than Papillon, but in person (in dog?) she was very slight, and had the look of a Papillon as she walked and ran. Her head was more Cavalier, which is why she reminds you in the face of a Tibbie, but wasn’t broad. It’s also coloration, for Honour – she doesn’t want a red and white dog or one with a big blaze. The darker face and mask of a Tibbie makes her feel better about them.

• Reply Julie E March 27, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Ginny looked exactly what she was to me: a Papillon/Cavalier. One thing about your photos of her is that my impression of her mix is kind of like a prism: one view, I see Pap. In others, she screamed Cavalier. She always charmed me in those pictures.

• Reply Anna Harman March 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Dont know much about colours i Tibbies, as I said I am “just” an owner. My Tibbie is a red with a black mask. She loves being the centre of attention, though personally I dont carry her around much, thats cos she is happy playing with the Cardis. But I am sure that if you got a puppy she/he will easily fit in to what you want/need.

• Reply Bruce McDowell March 26, 2011 at 7:53 pm

Are you talking the 8th , 9th , & 10th of April ? I’ll be there coaching a friend . You can’t miss me . Look for a drop dead , good looking guy , 6’5 , with a body of a Greek God . Yeah , I’ll be standing next to him !

• Reply Pai March 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Oh, Tibbies are on of my favorite breeds, I’d love to own one someday. They really are a special breed. Good luck at the show!

• Reply Frances March 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I am so very impressed with Honour’s courage – I hope it is the forst step on the way to finding the right dog. Just to throw another breed your way – one you may not have considered – my toy poodle is the most attentive, cuddlesome little dog possible. More so than my papillon, who likes attention on her own terms. Hope you both have a good time at the show.

• Reply Frances March 26, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I am so very impressed with Honour’s courage – I hope it is the first step on the way to finding the right dog. Just to throw another breed your way – one you may not have considered – my toy poodle is the most attentive, cuddlesome little dog possible. More so than my papillon, who likes attention on her own terms. Hope you both have a good time at the show.

• Reply Sarah Davis March 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm

LOL Bruce! Can’t wait to see you!

• Reply Bruce McDowell March 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

In a few months I’ll be showing a Blue Merle with bright tan points pup . Tell Mike to hide !

• Reply Sarah Davis March 27, 2011 at 12:43 pm

OK!

• Reply Julie E March 27, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Pardon me. I think something got into my eyes. (wipes away a stray tear)

I shall smile the rest of the day while at my dog show. What a gift Ginny was. What a courageous young lady. And I think I’ll watch the Tibbies go ’round the ring, just for fun.