General

Fluffy!

Meet Quizzy, our “rent-a-puppy”! She just came home a few days ago from Propwash Farm; she was one of the baby Australian Shepherd puppies I photographed in January. She’s four months old now and EXACTLY what we needed. She’s a breath of fresh air and wiggle and she sleeps on my feet and adores the kids and the Corgis think she’s some sort of ultra-tall Cardigan deity and follow her around staring at a mysteriously tail-less bottom. She’s not – NOT – ours. She’s here because Leslie Frank is a great breeder who knows that puppies do best when they have a bit of vacation from the home pack, and we were longing for a puppy to do all the spring stuff with. I don’t even know her pedigree all that well; her dad is Vinnie, who was BOW at the 09 Aussie Nationals; I know that much. Her registered name is Propwash Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me and she is making us very happy right now. Many more pictures to come!

• Reply Sarah April 15, 2011 at 8:47 pm

She looks like my Reese! Such a pretty girl. I do love redheads!

• Reply Erin April 15, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I don’t even have words…. I am officially dead from cuteness. Also, majorly jealous that the Cardi breeder got an Aussie puppy before me! Stil patiently waiting for mine…
    Erin recently posted…Will You Be My FriendMy Profile

• Reply kaye April 15, 2011 at 11:13 pm

love those red merles. My mom has a mini aussie, and she is a funny thing!

• Reply sterling April 16, 2011 at 12:33 am

I knew you would like the rent-a-pup deal. I have done this frequently over the years. It clearly benefits all involved. We have taken baby Aussies on vacation, to puppy kindergarten, and just folded them into our lives for the weeks we have them. Then….when they go off and become a Propwash star, we can watch from the sidelines feeling like we contributed a piece to their illustrious career! You meet them at a show and they wiggle at you in remembrance! It is a lot of fun all around!!
    With you they learn about kids and small dogs and chickens. With me they learn about big dogs, and chickens, and tails!!!
    Enjoy!!

• Reply Crystal April 16, 2011 at 1:37 am

OMG I LOVE THE NAME.
    Crystal recently posted…Musings on Why Cues May Not Be ReinforcingMy Profile

• Reply Julie C April 16, 2011 at 1:52 am

That’s great! She looks so much like my first dog, who was a red merle Aussie. I know you said you’re not keeping her, but are you thinking of getting a different Aussie sometime in the future? They’re the only breed I (well, my parents, really) have ever owned, but I’m not sure if one would be right for me and my husband once I’m out of grad school. I think that an Aussie might be a bit intense for us to start with as “our” first dog, given that he’s not as much of a dog person as I am. I’d love to hear what you think about similarities/differences between Corgis and Aussies.

• Reply Erin April 16, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hi Julie! I show Aussies and, of course, think they are wonderful dogs. Aussies are generally not recommended as a first time dog, however, growing up with them, you probably understand them pretty well. You and your husband should sit down together and decide exactly what you want in a dog, and then research Aussies and decide if they fit that list. Here is an article I recommend often to people considering am Aussie: . If you still think you might want an Aussie, any good breeder or rescue would be more than happy to talk to you about whether an Aussie would be a good fit for you.
      Erin recently posted…Will You Be My FriendMy Profile

• Reply Julie C April 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Erin! I’ve actually been following your blog for a while – your dogs are so beautiful and they make me miss my own Aussie so much! I think I’ve pretty much resigned myself to the fact that an Aussie isn’t going to be our first dog together, probably for the reasons you’re thinking of. My husband likes dogs but his childhood pet was a Pomeranian and he isn’t too interested in all the work that comes with the higher-maintenance breeds. I really like the herding-breed personality though, which is why I’ve started thinking of Corgis as a possible middle-of-the-road choice. In any case, thanks so much for your advice!

• Reply micaela April 16, 2011 at 2:16 am

adorable! I’m just a little bit jealous… how’s Honour doing with her? And how’s the search going for her next helper dog?

• Reply rufflyspeaking April 16, 2011 at 2:51 am

Quizzy is a fantastic dog and all the kids love her. It’s honestly just exactly right; we don’t have the pressure of a dog “turning out” and we get to enjoy the most wonderful stages of puppyhood (AFTER housebreaking and lead training!). Honour enjoys her tremendously but it’s not the right fit for her service dog because of the size. You can see that she DOES carry the puppy around, but it’s not going to be possible for too much longer! We’re still on the search – I’ll post more as some things start to come closer to falling into place.

• Reply micaela April 17, 2011 at 12:08 am

I asked specifically about H because of how tricky her mourning process must be. I’m so happy that she’s enjoying the new pup and that you’re making progress in the search for a new service dog for her. I’m hanging on pins and needles waiting to find out what y’all decide to get, and hoping you’ll give us a thorough breakdown as to why. Now please post more dog pics, we always appreciate dog pics!!! 🙂

• Reply sterling April 16, 2011 at 2:48 am

I meant high tails that wag them in the face-you have tails-low tails.

• Reply Claire April 17, 2011 at 2:00 am

Lucky Kimballs! What a lovely pup.