bronte

Bronte, redux

This is Bronte leaving for her new home a year ago. You’re going to see the same view pretty soon, moving in the opposite direction.

She’s been very, very well loved. Unfortunately, due to serious illness in her retirement family she is coming back to us.

I am nervous about putting her back in the “available” column because I cannot stand dogs being shuffled around like silverware. I am inclined to keep her forever but I am not sure that’s for my peace of mind or hers – in my house she’s the bottom of the pack and, while the others are far too polite to pick on her, she tends to get really quiet and a little sad. As an only dog she is happy all the time. But let me say this – if she does leave, it will be only to a perfect place where there’s no question of permanence. I won’t see her moved around again.

If you’re interested, she’s now four and is probably the best dog who ever lived. Behavior-wise she is flawless and faultless, quiet, lovely, affectionate, LOVES training, loves food, kisses a lot. Very silly, knows how to tell a joke. There’s pretty much nothing bad I can say about her except that she doesn’t thrive in a big group situation.

She can be placed from her current home near Buffalo for the next couple of weeks. After that she’ll be here in New Hampshire. I will try to help with transportation if needed. She’s spayed already, healthy, practically perfect in every way.

I almost deleted this post about five times, because I really, really don’t feel good about her moving around a lot. She doesn’t deserve it. I guess I want you to read this as 90% of a “Yay, we love Bronte and she’s coming home!” and 10% of “If you’ve adored her for the last four years and wished she was available for a retirement home, contact me and be prepared for a LONG interview.”

• Reply Erin July 30, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Oh, sweet Bronte! I have loved her for the last two years, but my home is not the right one for her. Good luck and well wishes beautiful girlie!

• Reply Mary July 30, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Oh no, oh no! That is so sad. I hope everything turns out well for Bronte’s retirement people, and whomever gets well very soon. Bronte is just the sweetest & oh so beautiful. There is a perfect place for her out there somewhere – & you’ll find it.

• Reply Ohgod Imapony July 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Good luck to you and Lady Bronte!

• Reply Joanna Kimball July 30, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Thanks 🙂

• Reply K.B. July 30, 2011 at 5:12 pm

You are killing me. I can SEE Buffalo from my house… but no more dogs until the renos are done. Then again, that’s what I said before I went to get Katy…

I really do hope you find the perfect home for her, and please, let me know if I can help in any way, being (almost) on the scene and all!

• Reply Kathy J July 30, 2011 at 6:34 pm

At a dog show a couple of weeks ago I saw a really lovely 10 month old cardi do a very nice job in rally advanced (hey she beat me!!), and had a nice conversation with her owner and a pem/cardi person about the cardi personality and how they are different from pems. It was the conversation I have been waiting to have for a long time. My little pem Bart died last September and I just don’t want a pem again mostly due to the DM problems in the breed so I have been looking at other “small” breeds. Of course this is a 5 year plan since my collies are pretty young but I like to do LOTS of talking with breeders and owners if I am thinking about branching out. Bronte seems like such a good girl – but really, my house would be so not her thing with two rambunctious collies in residence. Thank goodness she has a breeder that will step up to the plate – just recently we’ve been having issue with a few collie breeders doing the same : ( I work with the national rescue. Good luck with Bronte – maybe she will find the perfect home just down the street!

• Reply rufflyspeaking July 31, 2011 at 7:19 am

They are a wonderful breed, and probably close to perfect for rally. They love those kind of complicated series, they aren’t (generally) too hyper for it, and they’re low to the ground and fun to do tight stuff with. A ton of Cardi people are doing rally now and I would love to see people getting into the breed specifically for that – gotta have an alternative to the Border Collies for something! 🙂

• Reply Kristy Wiland July 30, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Oh wow. I’ve been a fan of Bronte for years! But we won’t be in a position to have another dog for at least a year. I can dream, though.

• Reply Raegan July 31, 2011 at 12:36 am

Dogfolk culture question.

Retired show/breeding dogs are one of the best kept secrets of “the fancy” in my opinion. Here’s a dog that’s an older puppy or a stable adult, raised by someone reasonably knowledgeable and probably capable of at the very least not ruining a puppy, and more likely did a bang up job of socialization and civilization. While hardly prolific, it seems like every breed has at least one or two dogs looking to be placed at any given time. In many cases, a retired show dog is a perfect dog to be placed in a family that wants a purebred dog, but does not want a rescue or puppy.

But they likely never know these dogs exist. Unless you’re “in” dogs, your opportunities of finding a conscientiously bred dog are slim. I have heard from a handful of very good owners of “just pets” that they *wanted* the well bred dog, but they couldn’t find a breeder that would sell the “just a pet.” But put a few title on a dog or two, and you’ll be finding puppies in baskets on your doorstep. And, I like titling dogs more than most people, but I don’t know how fair that system is.

• Reply Raegan July 31, 2011 at 12:43 am

I am thinking about all the dogs that need to live with no other dogs, but all the places they are advertised are among people who already have at least one dog. And usually more.

• Reply rufflyspeaking July 31, 2011 at 7:24 am

Yes, I agree. Far too many times we see the “Available to single-dog home” posted on lists where everybody already has four or five! Fortunately with Bronte she’d love another dog, even two. She LOVES dogs. But as one of six or seven she gets pushed too far below the surface. I personally get uncomfortable if I’ve got dogs who are just “part of the pack” and who don’t get a lot of individual love. When we all sit down to watch a movie, I’ve got Clue and Juno, Meri’s got Bramble, Friday picked Doug the day she arrived, Honour has her one or two, and Bronte goes in the other room and sleeps under the table. That has always broken my heart for her – she’s never in any disagreements, never aggressive, but she’ll just sigh and leave. When she’s one of a smaller group she’s playful and confident and kissing your face all the time, which is what I want for her.

• Reply micaela August 5, 2011 at 12:06 am

Friday picked DOUG?!?!? LOLOLOLOLOLOL! I love it… does he still consider himself not much of a dog person? 😉

Bronte, oh sweet darling Bronte! I’ll be sending her lots of love and wishes of a home filled with love, peace & good food ♥

• Reply rufflyspeaking July 31, 2011 at 7:03 am

This is ABSOLUTELY TRUE – and it doesn’t just work within the show/breeding world, it works within specific breeds. I would have absolutely no problem finding a double-handful of retired dogs in Cardigans, and in a couple other breeds. In other breeds I would be right back at step one like everyone else and it would “feel” like there were no available dogs.

And wow, in terms of getting a family dog there’s nothing better than a retired show dog. They’re just fantastic. I have a very, very soft spot for Bronte because she’s always been such a nanny dog, but it’s not like she’s some sort of anomaly that she’s so great and is available.

• Reply priscilla babbitt July 31, 2011 at 9:36 am

Oh Bronte, i remember when i first saw you up for re-homing and even ask about you but you were already placed over a yr ago. I thought that you were the most wonderful looking cardi..
    I have no business even desiring you because my hands and home are full with the the two pems i have.. but in a perfect world id beg an plead for you and give you all the kisses and attention you deserve… I really would… M D H and grown childern already think ive lost my mind because i have these two and i feel like my life just began…
    Ill be asking the Father to give you what you need and help your “human mom” to find the right home for you forever…
    ~ your secret admirer

• Reply Ruth July 31, 2011 at 8:33 pm

How is she with cats?

Would she be ok sharing a home with a (VERY) large, currently un-neutered, puppy of the opposite sex?

Is she spayed? If she isn’t would you have an objection to her being spayed ASAP apon arrival at the new home (pretty sure I already know your answer having wandered around here a bit, but I have to ask)?

I can’t even seriously consider taking her till I know whats happening with my husband’s job (hopefully we’ll find out in the next couple weeks) even if your answers to all of the above match what we need, but at the same time I have to ask. I put the link to my blog on my name, you can go there and click on my profile to get my email if you want to discuss directly.

• Reply Ruth July 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Oops you said she’s already spayed, sorry!

• Reply Terri Eagen-Torkko August 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

Did you place her?

• Reply Joanna Kimball August 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

Terri – no, not yet.

• Reply Misti August 1, 2011 at 12:10 pm

if only I didn’t live on the other side of the country.

• Reply Jess April 4, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Whatever happened to Bronte? Did she find a wonderful home? I’ve read so much about her and hope she’s with a wonderful family who will snuzzle her as much as she deserves.

• Reply rufflyspeaking April 4, 2012 at 9:08 pm

She is in a WONDERFUL retirement home with a Chessie. She adores them and they her.