clue, Juno

Day 4: sharing

20110824-080435.jpg

Just a short one from my phone–thanks to a heroic effort from tabitha to throw up on every towel and blanket in the house, the puppies had to be put in one box while I was washing their bedding. I was trying to keep the bitches away from them for fear of fighting, but both moms said “Finally! Why did this take you so long?” and hopped in past me and settled more relaxed than ever. They’re cleaning buns and nursing babies without asking who’s who.

• Reply micaela August 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

sometimes they are SO much smarter than us, aren’t they? I love this, super-duper-triple love it! They are such good girls!!! I hope you’re hand-feeding them bacon as a reward 😉

• Reply Leila August 24, 2011 at 8:10 am

They look like a slightly squashed ying/yang.

• Reply Susan Whelan Temple August 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

They do look like ying and yang!

• Reply priscilla August 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

oh my gosh that gave me chills!! so sweet!!!!
    What marvelous mommy’s and sisters~

• Reply priscilla August 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

I dont know how your going to keep up with whos who?? Is it very difficult?

• Reply Taryn August 24, 2011 at 12:04 pm

The moms might not be asking who’s who….but the question really is…Can you now tell who’s who and who belongs to which mom 🙂

• Reply christine August 24, 2011 at 12:45 pm

That’s *amazing*! There’s no way my any of my current girls would allow that. Maybe if I had had mother and daughter with litters at the same time….

I think it speaks very highly of the soundness of their temperaments.

• Reply rufflyspeaking August 24, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Yeah, I should definitely caution that this is the kind of thing that I would NEVER EVER recommend. And if I ever told this story with a bad ending, the only proper response would be “Well, how stupid were you for letting them be together?” Even though they hopped in together with not a care in the world, I am STILL not letting them alone for even a second. They have eyes on them 24/7; I take the night shift and the older kids take the day shift so I can sleep for a few hours. And there’s no yelling or horseplay or intense activity (or any other dogs) allowed around the box(es).

Raising puppies together is something that “shouldn’t” happen. I am thrilled that they seem to want to do it, but I am really, really not advising it as something anyone should do.

Oh, and yes, we do know them all on sight, and which babies belong with which mamas. No fear of getting them mixed, even in the sea of black and whites! I actually videoed every single one of Clue’s babies before I brought them home so I would have a permanent record of markings before Juno gave birth – just in case we lost our minds and forgot who was who. That hasn’t happened yet, thank goodness.

“Littlest” puppy up to 11.4 this morning. I am only spot-checking at this point if a puppy feels a little lighter than the others, instead of my normal OCD thrice-daily weigh-ins, because they all look like yams with legs. The biggest are already over a pound. Clue’s babies lost an ounce (pretty consistently) the first day, maybe because sectioned puppies are born so waterlogged and all they do is snort and pee for hours, but they were always active and hungry, and since then it’s been smooth sailing and fat babies.

I am afraid to celebrate because it’s early days yet, but right now this my happiest whelping EVER. The whole atmosphere of the room is just light and cheerful, babies are quiet, moms are relaxed. Clue’s last litter was pretty great, but I had some Dane litters that were basically dark holes in the ground when I look back on them, so much worry and work. This one feels wonderful.

• Reply K.B. August 24, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Oh my. Honestly, and this is saying a LOT, I think this may be one of my favourite of your photos.

Puppies, with mama dog bookends!

• Reply Dave August 24, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Great photo and fascinating to see this in action, but I’m still chuckling at the use of the word “heroic.”

• Reply miss elizabeth August 24, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I have puppy fever so bad, and this blog is NOT helping! I just want to snorgle all of them! You are very blessed (even if it doesn’t feel like it when you are missing so much sleep!).

• Reply Jennifer August 25, 2011 at 12:26 am

That is the most fantastic picture ever–except maybe for my mental picture of Shade pushing Juno in the swing. What a healthy, amazing batch of babies–and what sweet mamas.