Daisy Poppy, General

Likes long walks on the beach and meowing noises

We had a really great day today, for reasons I will explain later, but before I do that I need to introduce you to someone.

This is the oldest-newest member of our Cardigan clan; she came to us from the Midwest. I have loved her for years, and when I saw that she was available I moved heaven and earth and Doug’s ever-tolerant heart to get her here.

Her fancy name is Merrymoon Pluperfect Panache, but at home she’s Daisy Poppy. She came to us with the name Daisy; to avoid confusion with friend and neighbor dogs (there’s kind of an epidemic of dogs named Daisy here) we decided on Poppy. So we started calling her Daisy Poppy, with the intention of switching to the new name, and of course it stuck there and refuses to move. We also call her Daisy Poppy Honey Boo, Daisilina Poppington, and about a hundred other names, because she is the sweetest thing on earth.

She’s brindle, a fluff (FIST BUMP!), and four years old. We hope she may contribute her many wonderful qualities to the Cardigan gene pool, but honestly that was the last thing on my mind when I asked for her. She just spoke to me in her pictures and personality, and we can’t imagine our couch without her now.

She adores Doug and she is a special favorite of his, and she’s best buds with Clue. That is a great blessing, because as Clue has reached middle age I have missed having Bronte’s quiet companionship for her. Daisy Poppy is a perfect fit for that job. I just walked by them a few minutes ago and they’re curled up around each other on the couch next to the fire, paws twitching gently as they dream.

As an added bonus, she appears to like Honour making meowing noises behind me almost as much as Meriwether does.

• Reply Missy December 5, 2011 at 6:47 am

Nothing like the soft ears of a fluff! I bury myself in Kodi’s daily. Ear therapy!

• Reply priscilla babbitt December 5, 2011 at 9:35 am

What a lovely addition to what seems like a full house. Im a jealous wreak its not me!

• Reply Dawn Small December 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love Meri matching expressions w/ Daisy Poppy. So cute!!
    Dawn Small recently posted…Sigh…My Profile

• Reply Susan and Stella December 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

She is just beautiful! Her sweet face and expressions remind me SO MUCH of Stella. Are they at all related?
    Lovely photos as always.

• Reply rufflyspeaking December 6, 2011 at 1:12 am

Awwww – it’s those fluffy girls :). She’s actually about as UN-related to Stella as you can get in the Cardigan world; I am sure they share some g-g-g-g-g-greats, but nothing up close.

• Reply Beth December 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Very pretty. Cardi fluffs look way, way different than Pem fluffs. Pem fluffs have a ton of hair. I’d never guess she was a fluff by looking.

• Reply rufflyspeaking December 6, 2011 at 1:12 am

I think every fluff is different. There’s a perception that there are short-coated Cardigans and then fluffs, as though they’re two entirely different groups, but a lot of dogs bridge the gap and it’s not always obvious what they are. I’ve seen some genetic fluffs with body coat that’s downright scant, just feathering on the legs and ears, all the way to a humongous matte non-reflective coat like a rough collie – and seen some whose owners swear up and down are not fluffy but they have coat dripping off them or are very curly or are very soft. Daisy Poppy is out of coat right now but from the pictures I’ve seen she’ll end up rather ringlet-y, especially on the legs and tail, once it’s all back in. The good thing about her coat is that it’s obviously a double coat and shiny. It’s not wooly or cottony or open. It’s just silky – she feels like a Golden, or a Flatcoat – instead of harsh. We’ll see how she does this winter in the snow; some fluffs who have incorrect coat are very bothered because the coat picks up snow and is not as insulating as it should be. If she has a hard time, it’ll help me understand how to breed her (must be coat-free or may be a carrier) if puppies are in her future. A non-functional coat to me is more problematic, and more of a reason to select against them, than any absolute coat length or texture.

• Reply Beth December 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Very interesting. Thanks!

• Reply Maryk December 5, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Are you ready to tell us where Bronte went?

• Reply rufflyspeaking December 6, 2011 at 1:14 am

Sure – there’s nothing secret about it. I just don’t like to assume that new owners want stuff posted when I have a biggish readership and they might like to be more private. She’s with an absolutely WONDERFUL retired couple who she adores. I get updates regularly.

• Reply Lauren December 7, 2011 at 5:58 pm

Congrats! What a sweet lovely face she has!