General

Our first bred champion

If you haven’t yet heard the screaming coming from the East Coast, here’s the news:

Magnum, Clue’s son from her first litter, finished recently with four majors, the last a 5-point and a BOB over a ton of specials. His first day out as a move-up special (what you call it when you arrive early to the show and tell the show secretary that the dog needs to be in Best of Breed as a champion rather than competing from the classes) he took another BOB and got a major toward his Grand Championship.

Dawn asked me why I hadn’t bragged earlier, and the honest answer is that I feel like it wasn’t “my” win. I’ve never liked it when breeders act like the success of the dogs they produced is about some kind of super smartness or remote-control effort on their end (or, worse, some kind of inevitability of success thanks to how fantastic the stud dog or bitch is). I am thrilled that I put the dogs together, and I pushed the socialization really hard, but since eight weeks he’s been Dawn’s dog and everything she’s done with him has been 100% her success. He responds to her in an amazing way and he’d do anything for her in the ring. I am nothing but a chubby lady somewhere in the background cheering.  Just, um, cheering extra loud this time :).

Congrats from the whole family to Dawn and her Smoking Gun!

• Reply Shedenara January 24, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Congrats to all! Finishing a dog is a great accomplishment for both the owner and breeder. I believe that the breeder plays a huge part of any dog and it’s accomplishments. The breeder saw two dogs that complimented each other and crossed her fingers that the puppies would meet your expectations. The breeder also saw something special about a puppy and decided what home it would be best in. That is no easy task.
    Yes, once the puppy leaves the nest, it is the new owners responsibility to grow the puppy up… but the journey all begins with a breeder having the “eye” for breeding quality.

Hugs to everyone and again congratulations!

• Reply Ettel January 24, 2012 at 8:49 pm

He’s just gorgeous! Congratulations!
    Ettel recently posted…Separation Anxiety: MedicationMy Profile

• Reply Ruth January 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Handsome boy!
    Ruth recently posted…LinksMy Profile

• Reply sp January 25, 2012 at 2:20 am

congratulations! i heard the news from kate’s blog and i thought the same thing – why hasn’t this been posted at ruffly speaking?? i get excited when dogs i merely know, let alone had any hand in producing, wave hello for the camera. it doesn’t need to be a brag, necessarily…it’s just great! congrats again.
    sp recently posted…midnight run turned uglyMy Profile

• Reply Ashley January 26, 2012 at 5:47 pm

What a gorgeous boy! He is so striking. =}

• Reply Robin French January 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm

This is my first time replying to a blog (is that what this is?). Though I work for a technology company i remain technophobic! I rely on my teenage girls to help me. But I happened on your site while playing on Foggy Bottom, and have to say 2 things:
    1) I think your blue bred is one of the most gorgeous blue cardis I’ve seen! If I didn’t have 3 already, and have been threatened by my husband if I even attempt to add another to our crazy home, I would be begging you for a pet blue. WOW!!! Was his mom the one in the birthday photo below? Also just beautiful.
    2) your photos are spectacular (your daughter? with the red hair); magical and I hope you do this professionally and/or sell them.

Hope I did this right. Robin (and Macy (B&W fluffer from Pat Santi), Lily (fluffy red from Cindy), and Ozzy (B&W from Pat Santi)

• Reply rufflyspeaking January 30, 2012 at 1:09 am

You did a great job for your first time!

Thank you so much – and yes, Magnum’s mom is Clue, who is in the picture below and on my bed curled up on Doug’s feet right now.

I am doing my very, very best to make photography my job – think good thoughts for me!

– Joanna