puppies

At 5:38 AM

Hello, it is I, speaking to you by typing laboriously on my phone from the whelping box. Daisy poppy has realized that I can be ordered into the box with her, and so now I am stuck here or she barks at me and then very significantly stands up while puppies yell. When I sit down, she stretches out and the puppies tank like I have not yet seen.

My bottom is completely numb and so far I have watched Fringe, Castle, some sugar challenge thing the kids recorded off Food Network, and am moving on to Alcatraz.

I anticipate scraping the bottom of the DVR menu with some heroic sports movie courtesy of Doug; I think it’s called “Hoosiers: The Rookie Miracle Surfer,” and I’ll probably be wiping my eyes on a corner of puppy blanket before it is over.

The ever-glamorous life of a breeder, I am telling you. Somehow in my unwashed stupor I am the drug that makes her milk let down. Not sure whether to be proud of that or question DP’s sanity. I do know I am pretty darn punchy and have memorized all the Fox ads. That House sure is tense and mean! And look how difficult and personal this case is!

Meanwhile here’s a picture I took when she let me get up to pee.

20120221-055305.jpg

• Reply Missy Brees DeYoung February 21, 2012 at 7:59 am

Next time you’ll need to add a seat cushion into your whelping kit. Go DP & pups! Hang in there Joanna!

• Reply Susan Whelan Temple February 21, 2012 at 10:06 am

She’s probably thinking “hey! You got me into this, you’re not going to just leave me here!” next time maybe build a bigger box.

• Reply Joanna Kimball February 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

I dared to go sit in my chair, two feet away from the box, and she’s beside me staring at me accusingly and then looking at the box. Geez.

• Reply Sarah Davis February 21, 2012 at 10:39 am

And I am currently being adjusted at the chiropractors just from the short time I spent there. You kit be all kinds of contorted.

• Reply Anne Holliday February 21, 2012 at 7:31 am

It really is all glamour isn’t it?

• Reply Linda Tisdale Baker February 21, 2012 at 7:52 am

Must be exhausting!!! Daisy Poppy is a mama’s girl it would seem:)s

• Reply Amayon NinetyfiveFifty February 21, 2012 at 11:27 am

Gotta love smart dogs huh

• Reply priscilla babbitt February 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Im sorry but this is so funny! Daisy Poppy has you wrapped up.. she finds comfort in YOU~ the master breeder Hahaha

• Reply priscilla babbitt February 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Oh yea, they are to cute, but i guess looking at them for hours on end would get old.. grab a pillow for you back side hehehe

• Reply Sharon Quan February 21, 2012 at 7:03 pm

It takes a village

• Reply Sharon February 21, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Mine are the same. I sleep beside the whelping box for the first week at least. Thick foam, a pillow and one ear open for “lost” babies squeeks….such a bonding experience..LOL

• Reply Frances February 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I’m afraid I would have taken the whole lot into my bed by now, just to get some sleep! This too shall pass…

• Reply Kathie February 22, 2012 at 4:00 am

Joanne you are truley the heart and soul of a breeder. Congrats on the puppies and I love reading your blog!