Family

I am happy

I am happy.

This is a statement I haven’t been able to make in months – it’s always been I am worried. I am overwhelmed. I am guilty. I am hiding.

In April – right as Daisy Poppy’s puppies were leaving – we got some bad jobs news. There was nothing to do but put our heads down and try to deal with it, and try to make ends meet. Everything else fell by the wayside. Making things work got harder and harder as time went on. It’s a boring stupid story, so I won’t bore you or stupid you with it. But there came a week, just a little while ago, where we fed the kids oatmeal and eggs until the oatmeal was gone, and then called my mom sobbing and she came over and filled my fridge and let me cry on her shoulder for a while. That sucked.

And then, hallelujah, in the worst jobs market since the 30s, I got a job. I GOT A JOB. Not just a job, a good job. A GREAT job. A job that was the one we were waiting for. It’s a huge change for us; I will be gone full-time. We haven’t done that since – well, ever. But it’s going to get our heads above water, slowly but surely, and it gives us a feeling of hope and happiness that we haven’t had in a long time.

I will be blogging more often now, though you will need to be patient while I ramp up at work. But I WILL, which is something I wasn’t sure about for a while there. We are feeling very, very blessed – we managed, just barely, to make it until now. We didn’t lose the house or have to rehome dogs, which were my two hugest fears. I’m not going to be out walking the streets throwing coins in the air anytime soon, but in the next months we should be able to get back to normal-frugal instead of terrifying-frugal, and maybe even show some dogs again.

Meanwhile, because I have amazing AMAZING friends and co-breeders, we were able to keep going with a tiny portion of our plans for the year, and I’ll write more about that soon. The dogs are all well and happy, the kids are well and happy, everybody survived and even thrived. We managed to feed the chickens too, and raise our flock for the year, which was its own little miracle.

And now I get to take a deep breath and feel the light at the end of the tunnel shining on my shoulders. Thank God.

• Reply Olivia September 10, 2012 at 12:33 am

I’m so glad to read that you and the family are doing well. There is nothing scarier or more stressful and awful than really tough financial troubles 🙁 So, so happy that you landed a job that you’re excited about, and that you guys will be able to leave the money worries behind. And, of course, I look forward to reading your blog posts again!!

Liv

• Reply Lori Frost September 10, 2012 at 1:09 am

Wonderful news about the job and yes, after the hard times, it is incredible to breathe freely and let the stress go.

• Reply Mandy Katasse September 10, 2012 at 12:28 am

Good to hear. I know exactly what you are saying!

• Reply Christina September 10, 2012 at 12:52 am

I’m glad you guys got the break you needed! Just btw this font is really hard for me to read. It’s a little too thin on the white background.

• Reply Teri September 10, 2012 at 1:16 am

Sounds like some very scary family times. I’m so glad that things are turning around for you!

• Reply Katie, Maizey, Magnus and Calvin September 10, 2012 at 1:33 am

Awe! Just the title of this post made me smile and then reading the whole thing through I’m just plain happy to hear you’re feeling better and things are well. Congrats on the job and for totally selfish reasons I’m glad you’ll be blogging again!:))

• Reply Micaela P. September 10, 2012 at 2:50 am

I can relate on the scary times front and am so truly very happy for you and your beautiful family that you’ve got a great job that you’re excited about and you’re feeling happy!!! YEAH, woo-hoo!!! BOOYAH!!!

In that vein, I’ve been meaning to recommend this podcast to you for your commute, if you have the ability to enjoy podcasts while commuting. Every time I listen to them I think of you, it’s the Pop Culture Happy Hour Podcast from NPR. One of my favorite things about it is that they end it by every person on the panel saying what’s making them happy this week. A couple weeks ago, the topic was memorable dogs in movies & tv shows.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I’m dancing a jig for you, Snoopy-style 🙂

• Reply Addy September 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

Thanks be to God.

• Reply Ludivine de Ravel September 10, 2012 at 10:01 am

You and your family are so resilient and awesome, Joanna. You are an inspiration to me in so many ways! Great news. 🙂

• Reply Alison September 10, 2012 at 9:17 am

So happy to hear that you are happy! You have been missed 🙁 So, so sorry for your financial troubles. It is so stressful on all members of the family. Congratulations on your new job and I hope you settle in quickly! Looking forward to when you feel you can blog more often <3 (also, I am going to send you a few pictures of Corra, can't believe she is 1 already!!)

• Reply Beca September 10, 2012 at 11:13 am

Great news! Cheering for you!

• Reply Jo September 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m a long-time lurker in your blog, and have missed it tremendously. Very happy to hear of your good fortune.

• Reply Amy September 10, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hooray hooray hooray! An acquaintance introduced me to your blog, and reading random dog posts has kept me sane while working on a very draining project that has threatened to swallow me whole. Thank you for that. I’m so happy that things are looking up for you all! You can count me as one more loyal fan! Hang in there!

• Reply laura September 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’m so happy for you I could squeek. I agree with Micaela P. Snoopy style dance is definately called for . . . yippee!

• Reply lisa September 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I’m SO glad things are looking better. Financial stress sucks….Prayers for continued good fortune.

• Reply Ruth September 14, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Happy is good, so’s a job. Been there done that. Glad you got one! Wish you were closer, I’d have you come out and photo the dogs!

• Reply priscilla September 16, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I am so happy to have found you again!! God is good Joanna and He provided for you and yours… what a wonderful thing to hear you are not going to stop blogging i missed you..
    Priscilla

• Reply Jill September 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

SOOOO Happy to read your post! Congratulations on your new, wonderful job and the light shining on your shoulders.

• Reply Jennifer September 19, 2012 at 2:10 am

Congratulations on your new job, and good luck with the changes in your schedule!