Responsible Breeding

Never be afraid to tell the truth.

I am sitting at my desk, stealing a few minutes from my workday to eat a yogurt. On the side of my container, a prominent circle announces that the milk used to make it is from cows not treated with rBST.

That’s the power of telling the truth. rBST is great for people, terrible for cows. The simple insistence on paying attention to this fact has given a spanking to an entire industry (animal pharmaceuticals – rBST was never a farmer-led product).

Have the courage to insist on the truth when it comes to breeding. Look at every decision you make and ask whether this is for your benefit or for the dogs’. If they are in conflict, choose the dogs. And tell people that, and keep telling them that. Empower your puppy buyers to ask those same questions, and know enough to be able to support your answers. Hold your fellow breeders, your clubs, your standards committee, and your judges accountable too; don’t tell yourself that not rocking the boat is justification for choosing something that doesn’t benefit the dogs.

If we are not doing this for the sake of our dogs, we need to stop doing it entirely. And that’s the truth.

• Reply Ludivine de Ravel September 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Hi Joanna, I would love to read your blog but when I try to access the site, I get a malware detection warning from Google (I guess this feature is built into Chrome, my browser of choice). Any idea what it might be?

• Reply Ludivine de Ravel September 17, 2012 at 2:03 pm

http://i.imgur.com/ARzaF.png – Took a screencap of the warning.

• Reply Dyellen September 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

You hit the nail on the head. This is a battle that I’ve been fighting for over a week now. I told a friend my concerns about a decisions she was making with placing a puppy (show pup). According to her I over stepped my bounds by voicing these concerns. So now I am evil. I have a question that I never voiced, but I feel that instead of looking out for the well being of the puppy, she is looking to make a name for herself. She even stated that her dogs were only a small part of her life. Which makes me sad. While my dogs are not my entire life, they are a HUGE part of it. We should be living FOR our dogs; not OFF them!
    If we can’t tell the truth…then this world is lost. Integrity and honesty should be at forefront!

Dy

• Reply Micaela Torregrosa-Mahoney September 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

hey, I’m getting a malware alert for your site… hopefully you’re aware of the problem already :-/

• Reply Ruffly Speaking September 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

yes, I see, and I have no idea why

• Reply Micaela Torregrosa-Mahoney September 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm

FYI, I was wanting to find the post you did on Smelly Ears, to share with a fellow Coonhound person.

• Reply Shareen January 27, 2014 at 1:04 am

Thank you. This is just what i needed to read after a brutal week of ‘Shoot the messenger’