General

In which I am glad to be back, dear reader

8667725186_71846cb4b6_z

It’s been three years since I posted regularly – the job that I was doing was with a company that discouraged personal public social media use. I was, and continue to be, grateful for the opportunities that the job gave me. And I am now very VERY grateful that the door on that job has been shut hard and locked. I am discovering what my kids look like again, I am reading again, I am spending my days covered with dogs again, and I am writing again.

You, dear reader, have stuck with me for a long time. Thank you for your patience. And now I can promise that I will contribute here again at least once a week.

It’s been so long away from this world that I feel that I’ve lost touch with peoples’ needs and what they’re looking for in a “dogs all day, every day” blog. So – please tell me. What would you like to hear about? What questions can I start to delve deeply in?

Hugs,
Joanna

• Reply anna May 1, 2015 at 6:54 am

What do dogs do with all the data they collect? Every molecule on the pavement is studied with deep concentration, analysed, classified and stored. It is a helluva lot of data. What do they do with it?

• Reply Joanna Kimball May 1, 2015 at 7:22 am

Oh my gosh, I love this. Thank you- yes, I will write on dog memory and what smells mean to dogs.

• Reply Hannah May 1, 2015 at 11:33 am

So glad you are back! I for one would love an update on the pack, the chickens, etc. ! Hope you are well and looking forward to the more frequent posts.

• Reply Stephanie May 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I’d love an update on the scientific research on spay/neuter in dogs. Your previous post is excellent, I just know there are more things that have come up in the past however many years. 🙂 Also an update on the pack would be lovely.

• Reply Jess May 2, 2015 at 8:06 pm

So glad to hear you’re back! I’ve come back again and again to your archives! I love your articles on dog behavior and the updates on the funny things the dogs are doing. Would also be curious to hear more about your experience training service dogs if that’s an area you’re willing to share more info about.

• Reply Ruth May 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I was just glancing through your Instagram, where’d you get to hang out with a Tibetan Mastiff!?

Also, I tried to send you a message on Facebook last week. I THINK I found the right account….but I couldn’t find an email to email you with. If you didn’t get the message on Facebook could you possibly send me an email to the listed email on my blog? I have a friend who may need the same sort of support dog that Honor does, and I’m pretty sure the breed that was recommended to her was the same one I remember you saying Honor does, and she’s got questions!

• Reply Ruth May 4, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Also so very glad you’re back!

• Reply K May 4, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Yay! I’m in a weirdly dogless place in life right now and have been living vicariously through this and other blogs/forums. I would love to see more articles about canine body language (the photo essays were great).

I was actually volunteering at a dog rescue event over the weekend handling a nice, completely untrained and very rude Boxer. She made a jump and the other dog and I told her “NO! DOWN!” with a hard collar correction automatically, she didn’t know down, but she immediately gave me appeasement signs (whale eye, tongue flick, and that down-facing “C” with ears/head/tail) and was a much better and more impulse-controlled dog for the rest of the day – up to that point she was just ignoring the attempts to keep her from jumping at other dogs.

I would love having a resource to point our new and less-dog-savvy volunteers to understand what the poor things are trying to say in the chaotic environment of the rescue event – and how to say a few nice things back!

• Reply Dolores May 9, 2015 at 11:49 am

Joanna..I think I met you on the poodle forum a while ago..:-) but found you on my own some time before that and was sad to find the site inactive. So it’s great to see you are back! I love your photos and your blog on Corgis, despite never having owned any other dog besides poodles( I have three standards) and wire haired dachshunds. I have one question on teeth maintenance/oral hygine. What do you give to your dogs to keep their teeth nice and white? I just noticed that my one year old puppy’s back teeth are getting yellow!

• Reply Liz May 17, 2015 at 10:40 pm

So happy you are back. I also refer back to your archives for wonderful nuggets and reassurance, again and again. Thrilled to be reading your words and seeing your lovely photos once more. Welcome home! 🙂

• Reply Athena May 23, 2015 at 12:01 am

Joanna, so glad to see your blog up again! I am a standard poodle person and would love to see more of your family’s spoo. Would also love to see more about structure and performance…I figure no dog has perfect structure, but how do the strengths/weaknesses impact performance ability?

I think all the previous posts’ example photos got delinked or moved, sadly!

• Reply Stacey August 4, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I am so excited to see you writing again! I found your blog two years ago and couldn’t believe what a treasure trove of common sense it was… and clearly you were not writing on it any longer. I was quite sad, but I have caught up on the new posts and I am glad to hear things are going well. Lovely photos to boot!